1. The Best Garden Competition is open to any Nottingham City Homes tenant, any former tenant who has bought their house under the Right to Buy Scheme, anybody who has purchased a former council home on a Nottingham City Homes estate or any Nottingham City Homes leaseholder.
2. The city is divided into eight areas and five specialist categories. Competitors will be entered into the area where they live – unless entering a specialist category, which is judged city-wide.
3. The categories available for entry are:
a. Area categories
b. Best container display
c. Best community garden
d. Best edible garden
4. The first prize winners in the houses / bungalows category from the previous year, are excluded from entering the competition, but are automatically entered into the ‘Special Cup’ category to be judged against each other. Winners from all other categories are automatically entered into the same category for the following year.
5. Entry for the competition is made available from April to 20 June to the Involvement team by post or email. All entries must be received by the specified date. All judging will be done in late June/July, the first round will be done exclusively from photographs. Up to six colour photographs can be submitted for any category entry. We are not able to return any submitted photographs.
6. Requests for assistance with photographs must be made no later than 30 May. Contact will then be made for a NCH representative, subject to availability to visit gardens in person to take a photograph.
7. The competition is judged during July / August by Nottingham City Homes’ staff, ‘ACE’ services inspectors and community partners. Points are scored out of 30 and awarded for:
a. The design and general arrangement of the garden
b. The variety of flowers, shrubs, perennial and materials
c. The general neatness, tidiness and cleanliness.
8. Prizes are awarded for first, second and third in all categories. Prizes will only be awarded upon the achievement of a score of 15 or above. Any scores under 15 in a category, even if they are the only entry in that category, will not be awarded a prize.
9. The prize winners will be notified by post in August / September.
10. All first, second and third prize winners will be invited to a lunchtime awards ceremony.
11. Special Cup winners will be able to keep their trophy for the year. We will write to the winner to ask for the safe return of the trophies when they are required.
12. Nottingham City Homes cannot accept any responsibility for loss or delay to entries.
13. By entering the competition you give Nottingham City Homes permission to use photographs of your garden and your name and street to be included in related press releases and any future publications.