If you are in danger
please use a safer computer,
or call 999 or
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).

To leave this site quickly
click the ‘Quick Exit’ button
at the top of any page.

Bedroom Tax

Bedroom Tax

Bedroom tax has been introduced to reduce the number of tenants that are living in homes that are too big for them. It restricts the amount of housing benefit that you can claim if you have 'spare' bedrooms.

The number of bedrooms you can claim housing benefit for is based on the number of people living in your home. You can claim housing benefit for:

  • one bedroom for a couple
  • one bedroom for a person aged 16 or over
  • one bedroom for two children aged under 16 of the same sex
  • one bedroom for two children aged under 10 (boys and girls are expected to share a room)
  • one bedroom for any other child
  • one extra bedroom if you or your partner needs an overnight carer to stay          

A child is usually counted as living in the home of the person who receives their child benefit.

One extra room is allowed for approved foster carers who foster a child or children. You can keep the room allowance for an empty room set aside for a foster child if you became an approved foster carer or have fostered a child in the last 12 months.

An adopted child or children is counted for the room allowance once an adoption order is made. If children are placed with you before adoption, you are allowed one room only for them.

For students away from home, a room is counted providing they are away for less than 52 weeks and intend to return home.

A severely disabled child who needs their own room doesn’t have to share at any age.

You don't have to pay bedroom tax for a room usually occupied by a member of the armed forces who is serving away, providing they intend to return to your home.

The bedroom tax won't affect the following people and circumstances:   

  • People who have reached state pension credit age    
  • People living in some types of supported accommodation          
  • Homeless people in temporary accommodation provided by the council, unless the accommodation is owned by the council    

If the bedroom tax affects you and you’d like to move to a smaller home, we can help – please call us on 0115 915 4920.