Creating homes and places where people want to live

How we deal with ASB

When we investigate your complaint of anti-social behaviour (ASB) we will:

  • treat all information you give us in confidence
  • give you advice and guidance and arrange support
  • interview you within three days of your initial report
  • agree an action plan, and review it with you at least once a month
  • look into a range of civil and legal actions that can be taken against the perpetrators
  • advise you about security improvements if your personal safety is at serious risk
  • help you find safe, temporary accommodation if you need it
  • arrange for any abusive, obscene or threatening graffiti to be removed within one working day
  • advise you on how to fill in observation sheets to record details of incidents and review these regularly with you
  • keep you updated on the progress of your case
  • discuss closing the case with you before we close it, and advise you of the reason.

If someone makes a complaint about you causing ASB, we will:

  • speak to you within seven working days of the complaint being made
  • tell you what allegations are being made against you and listen to your response
  • give you the opportunity to rectify your behaviour and help you get support
  • let you know how we believe you have broken your tenancy or leasehold agreement
  • where appropriate, discuss options with you, such as an anti-social behaviour contract or a parenting contract, before taking formal legal action
  • give you written notice of any legal action we intend to take against you, and the reasons for that action.

Where there has been actual violence or the threat of violence, we may make an application for a without notice injunction without interviewing the alleged perpetrator.

If the allegations of ASB include noise nuisance, we may carry out part of our investigation by officers or by using a recording device. If we find that there is noise coming from your property that could be considered a nuisance or annoyance, we will consider enforcement action.

Actions we can take to tackle ASB

Each case is different, and the steps we take will change depending on the circumstances and evidence. There are a number of actions available to us, including:

  • early intervention
  • interview with the alleged perpetrator
  • verbal and written warnings
  • mediation
  • restorative solutions
  • acceptable behaviour contracts (ABCs)
  • parenting contracts
  • support referrals
  • family intervention/referrals.


We may take enforcement action such as:

  • civil injunction
  • community Protection (CPN) warnings and notices
  • extension of introductory or starter tenancy
  • possession proceedings
  • absolute ground for possession
  • tenancy demotion
  • suspending an application to buy or lease a council home.
  • closure order (in partnership with the police and Council)
  • criminal Behaviour Order (in partnership with the police and Council).

Where enforcement action is taken, victim and witness support is a priority. We may refer you to victim support or work in partnership with other agencies to provide support.

Victim and witness care and support

If you are having difficulty coping or need extra support we can put you in touch with services that can help and make support referrals to other agencies. These may include victim or witness support, counselling, legal advice services, social services, health services or housing. We can also help you access support if you have been the victim of a specific type of incidents such as domestic violence and abuse or hate crime.

Community Trigger 

The Community Trigger gives victims and communities the right to request to a review our response to complaints of anti-social behaviour. 

The review can be requested by the victim or another person acting on their behalf, such as a family member, MP or councillor. To request a community trigger, a single ASB case must have been reported three or more times within the last six months.

For further information about the Community Trigger, please see the Nottingham City Council website.